Intermittent Fasting For Weight Loss & Better Health: The Feel Great System
Intermittent Fasting (IF) is an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating. It is more than a passing health trend—it’s a way to support the way our bodies naturally work.
What is 4-4-12? Is it the same as Intermittent Fasting?
As part of following The Feel Great System we recommend following the 4-4-12 approach for best results, because it fits most lifestyles. What this means is to not eat 4 hours between meals and 12 hours from your last meal to the first the next day.
So for example, wake up in the morning and drink your Unimate yerba mate drink. Then wait until you are hungry (this will extend your fasting period as your last meal was dinner the evening before). When hungry (maybe closer to lunch time) drink your Balance fiber matrix and eat your meal. Wait another 4 hours for your next meal or longer depending on your schedule, time of day or hunger. Then wait until morning again to drink your Unimate yerba mate drink again.
What are the benefits of intermittent fasting?
One of the main benefits of IF is improved metabolic flexibility, which has to do with the body’s ability to use carbohydrate and fat for energy. Carbohydrate-based energy is short-lived and a significant amount causes blood sugar levels to quickly rise and fall. When the body gets stuck in the cycle of blood sugar highs and lows, it requires more fuel and craves sugary snacks. This pattern of eating keeps insulin levels elevated and unused carbohydrates are stored as fat.
Here is a general list of benefits:
- Increase energy levels, as opposed to feeling exhausted. If you are overweight and lethargic, fasting helps you access all that energy found in your body, which you didn't have access to before.
- Fasting forces your body to access those energy reserves, and once this happens, suddenly your body has an almost unlimited supply of energy!
- Fasting also helps you improve other body biochemical systems. There is interaction between hormonal systems.
- Also, it improves the mitochondrial function, which allows its mitochondria to regenerate.
- So it's not just turning on an enzyme switch for fat burning, it's a very complex process that regulates ascendingly to be healthy.
Following the 4-4-12 principle consistently will keep your blood sugars in check, insulin down and allow the body's metabolism to fire correctly and good things begin to happen. For enhanced results, we recommend you also consider to substitute that lunch meal with a protein shake. For more information on protein shakes, visit How to Choose the Best Protein Powder for You.
In summary, the 4-4-12 principle of fasting is a great way to optimize your health, and it’s easier to follow than you might think and it will help to reduce inflammation, brain fog, and insulin resistance.
In the below interview Mark Hayman, MD is interviewed about the many benefits of fasting. He also talks about the different types of fasting and the many benefits so you can determine if this is right for you.